As your County Commissioner, my visions include protecting our environment, control overdevelopment and protect our rural and natural lands as well as applying prudent business practices and experience on behalf of the citizens to preserve the quality of life for future generations.
Prior to becoming the District 2 County Commissioner, Jay served on several volunteer local boards, numerous 501c3 and 501c4 entities and committees, including the Seminole County Planning and Zoning Commission, Affordable Housing Board, Seminole County Parks and Recreation Board, Lake Pickett Municipal Service Benefit Unit (MSBU) Board, Seminole County Public School Review Board and the City of Altamonte Springs Incident Review Board. In 2004, Jay successfully helped lead a citizen initiative to establish Seminole County’s Rural Boundary.
Commissioner Zembower is a native Floridian and a 40-year resident of Seminole county. His family has owned and operated Zembower’ s Auto Center in Altamonte Springs for almost half a century. He has also served as a forensic consultant for local, state and federal law enforcement, as well as law firms, Fortune 500 corporations, insurance companies and major automobile manufacturers on transportation related matters.
Commissioner Zembower has had an extremely successful first term in office having accomplished a diverse range of objectives that far exceed his vision below. Examples of these successes and challenges are below.
The past 3 years Commissioner Zembower has served on the following boards:
- Central Florida Zoo
- MetroPlan Orlando
- Seminole County Port Authority Board
- Alliance for Regional Transportation
- Orlando Sanford International Airport
- Seminole County Affordable Housing Advisory Committee
- Medical Examiner Advisory Committee
- Little Big Econ State Forest and Charles Bronson Advisor Board
- Mayors and Managers Board ,working with the 7 cities for common goals for our entire county.
- Served as the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners from 2019 to 2020 through the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Proposed to the BCC that the new courthouse annex be named after Justice James E. C. Perry at 5 Points, which was approved by a unanimous 5-0 vote
- Assisted in implementing one of the first of its kind in Seminole County – a private drainage project that FEMA is helping fund in order to solve flooding issues
- Worked with Wendover Housing Partners, who is focused on the homeless, the disabled and veteran communities, to provide housing and a path forward
- Supports funding our emergency responders to ensure our citizens receive first class service
- Collaborated with federal partners in Washington D.C. to secure grant funding for Seminole County
- Worked to ensure we maintained the lowest tax rate in Central Florida
- Championed the Lake Harney Basin Study to help the citizens of Whitcomb Road get relief from flooding in the area
- Strategized with Fleet Management on ways to upgrade our fleet vehicles
- Worked with the state, the county and local partners to enhance the connectivity of trail systems in the region
- Helped to encumber the funding for the State Road 434 improvements through Oviedo and Winter Springs to promote enhanced and safer travel
- Participated in creating a shoreline and fertilizer ordinance to prevent pollution into our waterways
- Participated with the State Legislators to ensure and preserve clean water capacity to our county.
- Led the effort to obtain and transport a historic collection of 36 buggies for the Museum of Seminole County History. The display will be open to the public by the fall of 2022.
- Updated technologies so that the public has equitable and efficient access to a range of information
- Ensuring Seminole County is at the forefront of innovative technologies related to energy, conservation and sustainability
Board of County Commissioner Priorities for 2022
- Develop a Strategy for Effectively Managing Development Activity. Engage citizenry and create a community-driven Land Use Vision Plan for Seminole County that is supported by public infrastructure and implemented through the Future Land Use Map, Comprehensive Plan, and Land Development Code.
- Improve the Quality of the County Government’s Technology Infrastructure
- Develop a Strategy for Capital Improvements in the General Fund
- Affordable, Workforce Housing and Land Bank Programs
- Leadership Development, Succession Planning, & Talent Development
- Management of General Fund Reserves. Establish appropriate minimum levels of General. Re-Elect Jay Zembower as he has the core values, knowledge and experience that makes our community a great place to live, work and raise a family. Please feel to contact him if you have any questions.